Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Israel's invasion of Gaza

Israel invaded Gaza and the whole world erupted in anger over the decision. They have forgotten that it was Hamas rockets that provoked the Israeli government to take such a drastic military action. Israel was asked to end the campaign and go for a ceasefire. That would be sheer stupidity on Tel Aviv side without getting a firm commitment that rocket attacks will stop. In Sun Tzu Art of War, when you are on the winning side you must keep the pressure on the enemy. The pressure must be relentless until your enemy is subdued. A ceasefire will just allow Hamas fighters and bombers to regroup. Unfortunately, the Middle East tension has caused oil prices to rise again. Now it is going to breach $50 mark. This has caused oil and gas company like KMN to rise and a rally for IOI Corp. Today it is traded at a high of $4.40. Imagine how much it has risen since October ($2.45). Or the fact that it was hovering around $3.5 since the December till last week. But I doubt it can be sustained. Perhaps this is CNY January effect rally? After all, the full impact of an economic slowdown is expected after CNY. The mood in Penang is Malaysia will face a recession. I am more optimistic as I think we can barely avoid a recession due to our strong financial system. The slowdown is due to US recession. Unless I see any deterioration in economic figures, I maintain that we should see the first light of recovery by 2nd quarter 2010.

I have been with WOU for 3 months and today another senior lecturer has resigned. This is the second resignation for the School of Science since I joined in October. Looks like the turnover rate is very high for a university. On my way back, my Proton Iswara car was hit at the back by a lady driver. I felt a loud bang. Penang road is congested during peak hours and if you are not alert you will accidentally bank into people's backside. Bad karma ripen!

No comments: